This was the last night of Chisel’s puppy preschool. This past month has flown by, but Chisel has developed so many new skills that his owners will take home and continue to practice with him. Socialising with all the other gorgeous little pups has been wonderful for Chisel. Like we have said previously, even if you are experienced dog owners, each dog is different. Puppies have a window of opportunity between 4 and 14 weeks of age where it is crucial that they receive adequate socialisation. If your puppy is not socialised well enough during this period, this will affect their temperament and behaviour as an adult dog. In fact, anything they experience during this period will shape them as an adult.
On this final week we saw Chisel learn about the following:
- Getting familiar with the different type of harnesses and collars/leads. It’s really important that Chisel gets familiar with wearing a collar as soon as possible. Chisel’s owners made it a pleasant experience by lots of praising and treats to distract while he was getting used to it. Chisel’s owners were also shown safe car harnesses.
- De-sexing. There are numerous medical and behavioural reasons to desex Chisel. It stops testicular cancer, and can stop certain behaviours such as escaping to find a mate, aggression towards other males, unwanted urination. We usually advise desexing at 5 months of age, but will write a Chisel blog with more details about desexing in the future.
- Separation anxiety. This is the term used to describe dogs that are overly attached or dependent on people. Puppies should always be taught it is ok to be left alone. Kim taught the class some strategies to help them be happy to be left alone, and avoid the development of anxiety in the future.
- Practiced more “stay” commands
- Learnt how to trim nails!
- Final safe puppy play. Remembering that rough play is ok if both puppies are having fun, showing relaxed behaviour and not hurting each other. Trainer Kimberley pays close attention to each dog during this time.
- Puppy Graduation! Chisel and his new mates were presented with their graduation certificate and a goody bag!
Chisel took on puppy preschool really well. Have a look below at some gorgeous graduation pictures!